Listen to short story judge, Lucy Treloar, announce the winning entries below.
Announcing the winners!
"There was something wonderful in every one of these stories and it was a great pleasure to read and reread them."
Congratulations to the writers of the twelve stories that made the shortlist. Well done! And a special congratulations of course goes to Rob Johnson, Claire Aman and Ellen Rodger. Click on the story titles below to read their winning stories.
Hear Lucy Treloar's reflections on the shortlist and her announcement of the winning stories at the above video link. Watch as she delivers the great news to Rob Johnson. Rob reads an extract from his story and talks about his inspiration and process. You can also listen to Rob reading the full story below.
- WINNER: dark about the light by Rob Johnson, NSW, Croydon
- SECOND place: The Dismissal by Claire Aman, Grafton, NSW
- THIRD place: Cigarettes and T-Shirts by Ellen Rodger, Newtown, NSW
- Baby Oil by Alison Gibbs, Ashbury, NSW
- Beach Road by Catherine Padmore, Hurstbridge, VIC
- Good People by Jodie Kewley, Red Hill South, VIC
- Unobtainium by Annabel Smith, North Perth, WA
- His Car in the Driveway by Josephine Scicluna, Hawthorn, VIC
- Performance (Variation 2) by Gail Chrisfield, Torquay, VIC
- Until You See the Wasps by Jessica Andreatta, Lyra, QLD
- Half A Girl by Michelle Brock, Queanbeyan, ACT
- Brimbank and York by Samantha-Ellen Bound, Mordialloc, VIC
Scroll down to read the winning entries in past competitions.
dark about the light
Rob Johnson's story, dark about the light, won the 2020 AlburyCity Short Story Award. Listen to Rob reading his full story.