The theme for the 2017 AlburyCity Short Story Award is Shadows. Shadows are intriguing in their duality; their ability to protect and shelter but also deceive and obscure. Harness the power of the short story to explore the complexity and depth that lies beyond the light.
Short Story Judge
Our judge this year is award-winning author Bruce Pascoe. For 16 years Bruce published and edited Australian Short Stories magazine from 1982-1999. In 1999 he received the Fellowship of Australian Writers Literature Award. His own short stories, published in the collection Nightjar, have received national and international acclaim. More recently Pascoe won the Prime Minister’s Award for Young Adult Literature in 2013 and the NSW Premier’s Book of the Year in 2016.
- Theme: Shadow
- Word limit: 3,000
- Entry fee: $10
- First prize: $1,000
- Closing date: 5pm, Wednesday 26 July
- Winners and runners up will be announced on Thursday 14 September during Write Around the Murray.
Further details in the conditions of entry
Online entry: Submit your entry here
- 2016 Winner: Background by SJ Finn of St Kilda
- 2016 2nd place: Life Drawing by Dorothy Simmons of Albury
- 2016 3rd place: Big C by Ian Harrison of Hornsby Heights
- 2015 Winner: Pensioner's Concession by Mark Brandi of East Brunswick
- 2015 Highly Commended: Asking For It by Melanie Napthine of Frankston
- 2015 Highly Commended: Closing the Gap by Julie Twohig of West Brunswick
- 2015 Commended: Lights Out by Melanie Clark of Fitzroy
- 2015 Commended: My Apa by Christine Kearney of Canberra
- 2014 Winner: Shadows of Ships by Susan Webster, Warragul VIC
- 2014 Highly Commended: Between the Rails, Jennifer Morris, Gooramadda VIC
- 2014 Highly Commended:The Crush, Jacqui Garvey, Indigo Valley VIC
- 2013 Winner: Counting Pegs, Julie Chilver, Cooran, QLD.
- 2012 Winner: So Thin, Beverley Lello.
- 2011 Winner: The Solution, Beverley Lello.
- 2010 Winner: Just a Job, Jacqueline Winn.
- 2010 Winner (Primary): The River, Alexandra Croft.