When: Friday 15 September, 7.30pm
Where: LibraryMuseum, Corner of Kiewa and Swift Streets, Albury
Price: Gold coin donation
Last year's poetry slam was an exhilarating and inspiring event and it's returning in 2017 with even more to get excited about.
Up to 20 local writers will again have the opportunity to perform their own poems, stories and monologues for a live audience which chooses two writers to perform in Sydney on October 14 at the slam heat finals.
Entrants in this NSW heat of the Australian Poetry Slam have just two minutes to perform their work and wow the audience. All ages and all styles are welcome. Hosted by the brilliant Zohab Khan and featuring the dazzling Arielle Cottingham, plus live music, this will be a dynamic and supportive event which encourages new and emerging poets to get up and give it a shot.
Check out last year's slam and Zohab's call to poets.
Bookings for this event open on 2 August.
The event is part of the Australian Poetry Slam tour. APS is partnering with Spontaneous Films and the podcast All The Best to create online video and audio episodes and to offer this incredible spoken word and multi-media workshop the night before the slam.
Want to enter the Slam?
- Registration for performers is at 7pm on the night (advance registration not required)
- Poems can be up to 2 minutes long with points deducted for going over time
- Judges are drawn from the audience and the point scoring system explained
- Heat winners will travel to Sydney for the NSW State finals
- Wodonga residents welcome to enter. Winners will participate in the NSW State finals.
- Full slam heat rules and terms and conditions here on the APS site
WAM Slam Champions 2016
Our 2016 heat winner was Larisa Shephard from Wodonga and runner up Wil Johnston from Corowa. Wil went to Sydney for the State finals and onto the National Final at the Opera House! Check out his Opera House performance here.
Our 2016 event showed just how many talented poets we have in our region. We want to see your poems in 2017!